So you have purchased an AirPort Extreme Base Station. Now, you need to start reading the below guidelines. So without any delay, let’s get started. AirPort Extreme is a brilliantly-designed and completely-featured Wi-Fi base station. It offers dual-band wireless networking facility on a simultaneous basis by using the 802.11ac specification. Once set up the AirPort Extreme device, it generates two high-speed Wi-Fi networks.
- A 2.4 gigahertz (GHz) network is meant for 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n devices, including iPod touch, iPhone, and earlier computers.
- A 5 GHz network is meant for 802.11n, 802.11a, and 802.11ac devices, including iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, and the latest computers.
Wi-Fi devices are capable of connecting to the network (automatically) that offers the best compatibility and performance. AirPort Extreme also shares its users’ broadband Internet connection with devices and computers on the respective network.
AirPort Extreme Ports:
The AirPort Extreme device exhibits six ports on its backside:
|One Gigabit Ethernet WAN (Wide Area Network) port is meant for connecting a cable modem or DSL. And it is also meant for making a connection to an existing Ethernet network.|
|Three Gigabit Ethernet LAN (Local Area Network) ports are used for connecting Ethernet devices, including computers or printers. And it is also used for connecting to the specific Ethernet network (existing).|
|One USB port is present to connect a compatible hard disk, USB printer, or hub in order to connect multiple devices.|
|The power port is meant for connecting AirPort Extreme to a source of an AC power.|
A reset button is present in the adjacent location of the power port and meant for troubleshooting the AirPort Extreme device. And the status light, present on the front part, displays its present status.
Plugging In the AirPort Extreme Device:
Before plugging in the AirPort Extreme device, first, you need to connect the suitable cables to the respective ports that you prefer to use:
- First, you need to make a connection to the Ethernet cable that has been connected to the respective cable modem or DSL (in case you would connect to the Internet) to the particular Ethernet WAN port.
- Now, it’s time for connecting a USB cable from the USB port on the respective AirPort Extreme to a suitable USB printer, a hub or a hard disk.
- Next, you have to connect an Ethernet cable from any of the Ethernet devices to an Ethernet LAN port.
Once connecting the cables for each of the devices you’re planning to use, you have to make a connection of power cord and the power port.
Important: You need to make use of that power cord only that has come with your AirPort Extreme device.
And then plug the particular AirPort Extreme into a power outlet. Do remember no power switch is there.
Another worth considering point is that you need to use only the power cord that has come with the AirPort Extreme device.
Once you have plugged the AirPort Extreme power cord into a power outlet, the respective status light starts glowing amber in times of startup.
After that, it would flash amber during the setup process. And the status light will glow green after the completion of the setting up of your AirPort Extreme device and connection to a network or the Internet.
Whenever you connect Ethernet cables to the respective Ethernet ports, the lights, present above them, will glow solid green.
The Status Light of the AirPort Extreme Device
Check out the following points to understand the AirPort Extreme light sequences and what they are indicating:
|Off: It indicates the AirPort Extreme has been unplugged.|
|Solid amber: The AirPort Extreme device has been started up.|
|Flashing amber: It indicates that the AirPort Extreme device is unable to create a connection to the Internet or the respective network or it is undergoing a problem.|
|You should use AirPort Utility for acquiring information regarding the issue (s) that is making status light to flash amber.|
|Solid green: It indicates that the respective AirPort Extreme device is ON and is working properly.|
Flashing amber and green: It indicates that there might be an issue in starting up this particular device. The respective AirPort Extreme would restart and you should try again.
With the help of your AirPort Extreme device, you can perform the following things:
- You can easily create a Wi-Fi network that will be password-protected. And then, you can connect it to the Internet and effortlessly share the connection with other computers and Wi-Fi devices, including iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and iPod touch.
- It is also possible to create a guest network that is with or without password protection so as to allow Internet access to visitors and friends. Devices that are connected to the guest network would have access to the Internet, but not to the respective local network.
- You are free to make a connection between a Wi-Fi printer and AirPort Extreme. Each of the Wi-Fi devices and the supported computers, present on the respective network, can print to it.
- You can also connect a USB hard disk to your AirPort Extreme device. And another thing is that every computer, present on a particular network, can easily access the disk. Make use of the Time Machine application in OS X v10.5.7 or later version to back up each of your Mac computers.
How to set up your AirPort Extreme?
You need to implement the following steps to set up your AirPort Extreme device:
- First, you have to make use of your iOS or Mac device for setting up your AirPort Extreme. And you can set up the AirPort Extreme device to perform one of the below things:
- You can create a new network that can be used by your wireless devices and computers for connecting to the Internet and to each other.
It is also possible to expand an existing network. And in case the network has been connected to the Internet, each and every computer and wireless device on the respective AirPort network is able to make use the Internet connection.
Computers that have been connected to the AirPort Extreme device by Ethernet are also free to access the network for sharing files and connecting to the Internet.
In case you are making use of the AirPort Extreme device for connecting to the Internet, you will have a requirement of a broadband (cable modem or DSL) account with an ISP (Internet Service Provider) or a connection to the Internet by using an existing Ethernet network.
In case you have received particular information from your ISP (including a DHCP client ID or a static IP address), you might require entering the particular credentials in AirPort Utility. You need to acquire these pieces of information prior to setting up the AirPort Extreme device.
How to set up AirPort Extreme by Using a Mac?
You’ll require the following:
- A Mac computer or a Mac computer (they need to be Wi-Fi enabled) and they have to be connected to the respective AirPort Extreme device with an Ethernet cable (for setting it up with the use of Ethernet)
- OS X v10.7.5 or later version
- AirPort Utility v6.3 or later version and you should use Software Update for acquiring the latest version of OS X as well as AirPort Utility
You need to execute the following steps to set up this particular device:
- First, you have to open AirPort Utility that is present in the Utilities folder, located at the Applications folder.
- Next, you have to select the respective AirPort Extreme device and then click on “Continue”. In case you are unable to view the AirPort Extreme that you want to configure, you have to select it from the respective Wi-Fi status menu, present in the menu bar.
- Now, you just need to follow the online prompts to create a new network and to expand the existing network.
How to set up AirPort Extreme by using an iOS device?
You will need the following:
- An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- iOS 6.1 or later version (you need to check Settings on the respective iOS device for the latest iOS version
For its settings, you need to implement the following steps:
- First, you have to click on “Settings” on the Home screen, and then it’s time to tap Wi-Fi.
- Next, click the name of the respective AirPort Extreme device.
- Then, just follow the onscreen prompts for creating a new network or extending an existing network.
How to set Advanced Options?
In order to set the advanced options, you need to make use of AirPort Utility on your computer system or you can also download AirPort Utility for your iOS device from the App Store.
Now, it’s time to set up a new AirPort Extreme or make a configuration of advanced settings, including advanced security options, DHCP lease time, closed networks, IPv6, access control, and so on.
For setting advanced options or making changes to a network, you have set up already:
- You need to select the wireless network that you prefer to change.
- In case of a Mac, you have to make use of the Wi-Fi status menu in the respective menu bar.
- And on an iOS device, just select the network in the particular Wi-Fi settings.
In case you’ve not set up the respective AirPort Extreme device, the name of the default network would be Apple Network XXXXXX in which the XXXXXX is the last six digits of the particular AirPort ID.
- Next, you need to open AirPort Utility.
- And then choose the AirPort Extreme, as per your preference. A
- nd you ought to just click on “Edit”. In case you are asked for a password, you need to enter that.
- Now, you have to make adjustments of the settings, as per your choice for your AirPort Extreme device as well as for your network.
How to use Time Machine with the AirPort Extreme Device?
In case you have connected to a USB hard disk to the respective AirPort Extreme device, you can easily make use of the Time Machine application in order to back up the entire Mac computers, such as music, photos, and movies along with documents.
Once setting up Time Machine, it would start automatically backing up your computer on a daily basis. You can also make use of Time Machine preferences for setting up automatic backups. And you should also use a different backup disk or can also adjust other settings.
In order to set up or make adjustments of the respective Time Machine on your computer by using Mac OS X v10.5.7 or later version, you need to implement the following steps:
- First, you have to select “Apple” and then “System Preferences”. Next, you need to click on “Time Machine”.
- Now, it’s time for sliding the switch to “ON”.
- And then click on “Select Disk”.
- And now you need to select your AirPort Extreme device and then click on “Use Disk”.
Important: A worth considering point in this regard is that the first backup with the Time Machine might take overnight or longer than that, based on the amount of data you are backing up.
In order to increase the speed of the initial backup, you have to make a connection of your AirPort Extreme device and the respective computer system by using Ethernet.
In each of the subsequent backups, Time Machine only backs up files that have modified since the earlier backup that means the backups do not take more time.
In case you shut down your Mac or keep it to the sleep mode in times of a backup, Time Machine would stop the backup. After that, it will continue where it has left off after the Mac has started up again.
To know more about Time Machine, you need to select “Help” and then “Help Center” from the Finder on Mac. And then it’s time for entering Time Machine in the respective search field.
Addition of a WPS Printer to the Password-Protected Network:
If your network is protected with password by making use of WPA Personal or WPA/WPA2 Personal, you are free to add a printer (WPS-compatible) to the respective network without any requirement of the network password.
Whenever you allow a printer for accessing your network, the name and wireless MAC address of the printer would be stored in the AirPort Utility’s access control list as long as you remove it from the particular list.
In order to add a WPS printer, you have to execute the following steps:
- First, you have to open AirPort Utility on your Mac device.And then choose the respective AirPort Extreme device. And now you ought to click on “Edit” and enter the password (if required).
- In this step, you need to select “Add WPS Printer” from that of the Base Station menu.
- And now specify how you prefer the printer to access the network.
- Next, you have to choose a PIN for entering the eight-digit number that has been provided by the printer.
- It’s time for selecting “First attempt” to enable network access to the printer for connecting the network.
When the printer has been connected to the network, you have to use “Print & Scan preferences” for selecting it. You can go through the documentation that has come with the respective printer if you want to get more information.
And in case you want to remove the respective printer, just click on “Network in AirPort Utility” and then click on “Timed Access Control”. After that, choose the “printer” and then click on “Delete”.
You can find out more information about the utilization of the AirPort Extreme on the web along with onscreen help.